Wednesday, June 17, 2009

That's My Peanut

*Note: I will be employing some creative spelling throughout this post, so as to discourage visits from unscrupulous individuals. That is all.*

It is not, evidently, only grown men who are fascinated with their reproduhuctif orginn. My son, two and a half years old, has often found Mr. Winky to be a source of amusement. (Any of you mothers who have boys can surely attest to this fact. It's a great bath toy- you can squeeze it, pull it, make splashes with it, and if you're REALLY lucky, you can make liquid come out of it into the bathtub and make Mommy squirm because she just cleaned the bathtub this morning.)

Anyhoo. A few days ago while I was changing his diaper, he grasped himself (which is not unusual) and asked very matter-of-factly, "What's THAT?" (Up until now, he was quite happy with the mere existence of it. Never before had he inquired as to the appropriate word to use when referring to it.)

Because I try so very, very hard to be grown-up and mature about such things, I very matter-of-factly informed him, "That is your pea-niss."

This new information delighted my son. When he has new information, he enjoys proclaiming it loudly. A shout arose. (This is not "creative spelling," this is what he actually said.) "THAT'S RIGHT! THAT'S MY PEANUT!"

I, of course, just about fell down laughing. This only made it worse, because next to loudly proclaiming new information, his favorite thing in life is to make people (particularly me) laugh. So of course, every time he has a diaper change, he starts yelling, "My PEANUT! MY PEANUT!!!!"

This evening, he was sitting in my husband's lap watching TV and drinking milk out of a sippy cup. He squirmed a little bit, accidently kicking my husband in the "peanut." My husband made a sound expressing discomfort, and Kiddo laughed. My husband said, "No son, that's not funny."

Because I have such a highly developed and sophisticated sense of humor, I said, "Sweetie, you hurt Daddy's peanut." My sweet little boy, having learned that when he is hurt he will get a kiss, feels sympathy for my husband and wants to make Daddy feel better.

I have never seen my husband twist himself up in such a formation before.

It was highly entertaining.


11 comments:

Holly said...

OMG! Hahahahahahaaha.....

A story the boy will, um, treasure, someday?

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

hilarious ...
as the mother of 2 two years old I know how amusing it is.

Brent Ozar said...

BWAHAHA! Now I'm going to be calling it my Peanut.

Angela said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAH, too funny! I will need to share this story with Aaron.

Awesome Mom said...

Gotta love boys and their special toys. I enjoy the creative pronunciations of body part words.

Heather said...

**Giggle!**

chelle said...

Hehehehehehehe
That is such a cute story!

Unknown said...

Tooooo cute and good call on misspellings to ward off all the Internet creeps. Peanut is perfect!

Mocha Dad said...

It's a great day when a boy discovers his peanut.

Haley said...

I was pratically falling out my chair to read this! :-)

LOL!

Susan said...

OH MY GOSH. This is so "boy"! Love the story. Hope you're well and enjoying every minute of his growing up.