Sunday, December 30, 2007

There's No Place Like Home

Whew.

It has been a whirlwind week and a half.

And it ain't over yet.

Beginning Christmas Eve, Hubby, Lance and I have been on a Road Trip spanning the greater southeast United States. Every other day for 10 days we have been on the road.

Christmas Eve, we drove four hours from our home on the east coast of southern Florida to my parents' house.

The day after Christmas, we drove seven hours to my maternal grandparents' house in the Panhandle.

Two days after that, we drove a couple more hours into Lower Alabama to visit my paternal grandmother and various and sundry relatives.

Today we drove 6 hours from there back to my parents' house.

Tomorrow we drive the final 4 hours back to our own (very-much longed for) home.

Sigh.

It was wonderful to visit with everyone. Lance is the first great-grandchild on my mom's side of the family, and the fourth on the other. None of them had met him before. Why?

Because it's a freaking long drive for such a little guy. (And now a short pause for ranting: WHY is no one else in my family willing to travel???? Grrrr.) I have to say though, Lance was wonderful. He slept an appropriate amount of time, and when he was awake I hopped to the backseat so that I could hand him the toys he would inevitably throw on the floor of the car and entertain him with silly faces and read him stories and feed him snacks. This kept him happy between rest stops and mealtimes. Then he slept some more.

I am sure that someone hates me for that.

That said, it's still not a trip I want to repeat anytime soon. I will look for a flight next time. It just seemed like by the time we get settled in somewhere, it was time to leave. While I know that Lance will have no memories of this trip, I really want him to get to know his great-grandparents, because I never knew mine. I want him to spend time with his aunts and uncles and cousins, because when I was a little girl we lived across the country and I only saw those relatives (at best) once a year.

I took lots of photos, though. (Which I will post here when I am back at home at my own computer.) And I will tell him stories of how he chased his great-grandmother's dog around the house and how his little cousins pulled out their toys to share with him and how the neighbor scared us when he burst out of the bushes and into the backyard. (I'll share that story with y'all another day.)

It was a time to treasure.

But boy, am I ready to be back at home, in my own bed, with my own kitchen to cook in and my routine to settle into.

(Holly! I miss you!)

It ends tomorrow. The last leg of our journey, bringing us home.

There's no place like home!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww...so glad you all had a good time! Yes, traveling with little ones...especially that LONG panhandle trip can be quite grueling!

The restaurant is called, Bergamos and it is located on I Drive in the Festival Bay Mall. It is FANTASTIC...and YOU would love it!

:-) Susan

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the longing for your home. I was away from home for a week and my brain is still trying to catch up. Safe travels on the last leg of your trip. Hope you get settled back in to home quickly!

Anonymous said...

"I am sure that someone hates me for that."

Hey, I know when you're talking about me! =:+[]

Seriously, I'm glad it has been a good trip.

And to think you almost also went to Atlanta as well in your Grand Tour of the South.

Anonymous said...

Good gracious! I am exhausted just reading about your whirlwind vacation.

I'm so glad you have returned to your Kansas. :-)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a LONG, LONG trip!
Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good, yet busy, time! It's nice to know that Chris behaved too! :-)

Happy New Year!