Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Fright of My Life

I was nearly kidnapped today.

Maybe.

I think we've all heard stories of women who are abducted in parking lots, subjected to all sorts of violent crime.

I was doing some grocery shopping. Having completed the shopping, I was at the car, putting the groceries in the trunk. Lancelot was safely buckled into his car seat with the door open to allow him some air. (Some moms go ahead and start the car to get the air running for their kids, but then I'm afraid someone will jump in the car and drive off with my kid. Maybe I'm paranoid.) My back was to the parking lot, the shopping cart between me and the row of cars behind me. Suddenly I heard a booming voice shout a cheery, "hello!" I think it must be a friend of mine, so I turn around.

A strange man whom I have never seen approaches within 2 feet of me trying to sell me perfume. In a grocery store parking lot. The perfume is in his pocket. Does anyone *else* see any red flags going up here?

I'm terrified, so I immediately want to put some distance between myself and this man, so I step behind the shopping cart so that I can ram him in significant places if he tries anything.

One problem. He is on the passenger side of my car right next to the open door by Lancelot's car seat. I can't get to Lancelot because the cart is between the man and me, and the man is between the cart and my baby.

I told him I wasn't interested in buying perfume.

He laughed and said, "I'm not going to hurt you." He steps closer.

Once again, I tell him I'm not interested. He gets the point and leaves, much to my relief.

Much to my terror (again,) he leaves by way of the passenger side of my car, going right past my baby. I follow him and slam the car door before he can do anything, but he kept walking, thank God.

I don't know. Maybe he really was just trying to sell perfume, but I was terrified out of my wits. I don't usually get that way. I found a security guard and reported the man. Hopefully he was found and brought to justice! (Even if he meant no harm, it's not right to be soliciting in parking lots. Particularly to women who are alone or with babies.)

The bagger offered to carry my groceries out for me, but I declined. I think next time I'll take them up on their offer!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIKES! And YIKES again! I'm so glad you and Lance are OK! I think about this stuff a lot -- the logistics of taking a baby out in public while keeping us both safe. It's hard.... I'm sure you did the right thing.

Anonymous said...

Yikes!! I would totally be flipped out too. Once i had someone trying to get me to sing a petition before I even got out of the car. I waved them away and refused to leave the car until they were gone (I had the kids with me too) because they had startled me so much. You never approach a mom with kids like that ever. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow!!! This post shows that anything can happen....

Anonymous said...

That is scary!!! I started telling the nice bagger boys "Sure!" because I like having the security, plus toting a little one and groceries...let's face it, it's an accident waiting to happen! :) This meant I had to get over my whole packing of the trunk in a neat and orderly manner, but it's worth it. :)

Anonymous said...

Very scary! This is why, if I am alone, I don't put the kids in the car until the groceries are in!