Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In Which I Write a Week's Worth of Posts in a Single Day

Well, I haven't been at my computer much this week, but I've been writing blog posts in my head.

Here is the reader's digest version. If it's possible for me to be succinct, that is.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Magnetic Monday"

I've been having so much fun with this magnetic poetry! Even though I have yet to actually make it on a Monday. LOL!


"If some were to demand that religion shimmer in electric glory, then they would never learn to whisper in patient belief."

And once again I am surprised at what my subconscious brings up when I write these. I had nothing in particular in mind when I stood at my fridge arranging words!

* * * * * * * * * *

"The TiVO Generation"

It becomes evident that your child belongs to a far more technologically advanced generation when at 18 months old, your son brings you the TiVO remote control because Elmo isn't in this particular scene of Sesame Street. No joking, this happened to me this morning. He knows that the remote control can fast forward the TV. All the other monsters were on the screen except for Elmo. Lance looks at me, points to the remote control, says "Elmo!" emphatically, and is only happy when I forward to the "Elmo's World" segment of the show.

* * * * * * * * * *

"In Which I Break Out of My Comfort Zone"

This week, my church is participating in a week-long event called Festival of Caring. Every small group (bible study groups, committees, musical groups, etc) in our church is performing a deliberate act of kindness for the community during the week, and on Friday we are hosting a gigantic block party for the whole city. (Amber, I bet you would ROCK at organizing something like this!!) Anyway, during the week they are asking church members to go door-to-door inviting people to our event. We are Methodists. Door-to-door stuff freaks us out. We just don't like it. Fortunately, they have brought in a team of people from all over the state who are trained to do just this sort of thing, so they pair us up with them. I did this Sunday evening. My husband and I, along with a trained team member, canvassed a street in our neighborhood. We passed out party invitations, asked if there were any prayer requests, and were on our way. I was surprised that I was actually able to do this! No one was rude to us. People were often cautious at first, but when they realized we weren't selling anything and were just inviting them to a party, most of them were very gracious. It was kinda fun to do something so out of character for me!

Tonight, my bible study group is preparing dinner for the trained team members who are camping out in our Sunday school rooms for the week! I've got a veggie casserole baking in the oven as we speak. Yum! I hope they like it.

* * * * * * * * * *

"In Which I Prove Once And For All That I Am, In Fact, A Rock Star."

The band that my husband and I are in will be playing music at this Festival of Caring block party, as described above. One of our other band members designed a poster to promote the event with a picture of us on it. It is a very professional-looking poster. (Nice job, Ivy!!) The posters have been hung in various places of business where people will see it and come hear us play. Only rock stars have their pictures on posters that people will see to advertise concerts. The fact that I am in this picture proves that I am a rock star. My face is all over town. Behold.



(If you can't make it out, the band's name, emblazoned across the top of the poster, is "Renanah." It's a Hebrew word that means "joyful singing and praises." Appropriate, no?)

* * * * * * * * * *

And there you have it. In which I write a week's worth of blog posts in a single day.

Bwa-ha-ha.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, you are a rock star. :)

Eighteen months old and already understanding tivo. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

What is it that makes elmo the most loved monster anyway?? Honestly he annoys me...

But you can bet I know "Lalalala lalalala....Elmo's World" Thanks to my niece! :-)

I guess it will be Jackson next, for now were sticking to Baby Einstein :-)

Anonymous said...

My kiddo also brings me the remote to change the channel. But if I'm not fast enough he will push every button on the remote himself trying to get me to change the channel and typically he does something odd to the TV.

Anonymous said...

Gee, where do I start...?

Your magnetic poetry blows me away. Your poetry means something, where mine is just silly.

Are you sure you just wrote "door to door" and "fun" in the same paragraph? I could totally not do that. Not even with my husband. Not even with a trained professional. Not with a fox, not with a box. Although maybe with a paper bag (over my head).

"We're gonna rock this town, rock it inside out." Do you know that tune? You rock, girly!

Anonymous said...

I can see damselfly reads a certain book to here children a lot as well. ; )

Can I have your autograph?

Door to door isn't really my thing either, but I would try it with a trained professional. (Don't try this at home folks...)

Your son is smarter than I, because we have not entered the digital video recorder age. : (

Anonymous said...

"Lalalala lalalala....Elmo's World" is how I get little kids to stop screaming and let me look in their ears. I'm a terrible singer (which BTW sitting here VERY envious of the whole rock band thing!) so I'm not too surprised when some kids cry even louder! :-)

Anonymous said...

You are too brave, I would never be able to go door to door.

Rock on sista'! Way to cool to have a poster.

TiVo - we actually have a stuffed doll of TiVo that Laurel cuddles. I can't imagine life without TiVo.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to me to think that your little one won't know a world where he has to sit through TV commercials.

WHERE WAS TIVO WHEN I WAS YOUNG? ARGH, THE HOURS AND HOURS THAT I LOST! I CAN NEVER GET THAT TIME BACK!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've made the big time (though why the heck is your poster sooooooo far away????!!!)

And way to step out of your comfort zone!!!!

Anonymous said...

I blog in my head all the time. In fact there are times when I think I have already blogged it but haven't.

W00t I know a rock star! Or rather I read the blog of a rock star .. w00t!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of Festival of Caring. I am going to send my pastor that link. Thanks for sharing!