Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Experimenting

My apologies for my sarcasm in my previous post. I said much of the same things to the nice gentleman who was taking my fingerprints this morning, and he reminded me about Jessica Lunsford. Ouch. Sorry. Point taken.

Anyway, onto better, brighter, happier things. This evening I am trying a new recipe from Rachael Ray's newest cookbook. (I Heart Rachael Ray. Yes, she uses cutesy phrases and annoys the heck out of a lot of people, but if it wasn't for her, my poor hubby would still be eating canned Spaghettios for dinner every night.) Actually, I'm trying a combination of her recipes, as I realized that I purchased the wrong cut of meat for the recipe I wanted to try. I'm sure someone who knew a thing or two about cooking could make it work, but since I'm a dope in the kitchen, I have to try something else. Fortunately, also in her new cookbook is a recipe for precisely the cut of meat I purchased! So, I am using that meat recipe with the side dish recipe in the original recipe I wanted.

Are you with me?

If you have Rachael Ray's new cookbook, The Big Orange Book, turn with me to page 88. Three recipes for a complete meal of porkchops, sauteed veggies, and a yummy potato side dish. Then, flip back to page 262. Roasted Loin of Pork with Apples. Since I mistakenly purchased a whole gigantic pork roast rather than chops, I am going to prepare the meat according to the 2nd recipe and serve it with the side dishes from page 88. It's going to be yummy.

This is the first new recipe I've tried in a while. The economy being what it is, we've been sticking to very simple fare around here. Spaghetti with meat sauce. Baked chicken and potatos. The occasional frozen pizza. However, Hubby bought me this nice new cookbook for Christmas. The other night, I asked him, "Why do you buy me cookbooks if you don't me to use them?" He acquiesced.

So tonight, I am dusting off my apron, sharpening my big ol' chopping knife, and I'm gonna have me some fun in the kitchen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love trying new recipes. I have never really looked at a Rachel Ray cookbook. I will have to see if the library has any!

Heather said...

I haven't experimented in a while. Maybe when the baby is older I'll try that again.

Also, I find Rachel Ray irritating.

Sorry, I felt it had to be said.

Damselfly said...

Ah, experimenting in the kitchen! Hope it was fun and tasty.

Sheila @ Dr Cason.org said...

Was it Yummy? I can never get her recipes to turn out nicely. But Barefoot? She rocks.