Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Well-Intentioned Sandwich

Dear Guinevere,

I had the best of intentions. Really, I did. I know you have been trying to eat healthy foods, so I presented myself to you in the form of a Really Good Idea. It's not my fault that the apple was mushy. It's not my fault that you had the heat on the stove too high, so that the butter outside of me singed before the cheese inside got to that glorious state of ooziness which you love.

How could I have known pure maple syrup cooks faster than butter? If I had, I would have told you to turn the heat to a lower setting, so you would have been able to enjoy both the glorious oozy cheddar cheese AND the crispy crunch of the butter and syrup mixture you spread on the outside of me. Instead, you got singed syrupy-butter and lukewarm, indifferent cheese. And mushy apple slices in between.

We've been together before and things turned out fine. Don't give up on me, Guinny, please!

Love,

Your Sandwich, Grilled Cheese with apple slices on multigrain bread spread with a mixture of butter and pure maple syrup.

(at least the salad you ate alongside me was tasty!)

9 comments:

Haley said...

LOL! This was my first belly laugh of the day! Thanks!

Hope your diet is coming along well, despite the persuasive letters your food seems to keep sending you. :-)

Damselfly said...

I see you're still in experimental cooking mode! :)

Darn, now I want a salad.

Sheila @ Dr Cason.org said...

Was is sweet? It actually sounds really good.

White Hot Magik said...

I am still kinda confused about the sandwich. I am going to let that go and say now I feel like a turd for falling of my diet wagon today, at least you tried. ; )

Unknown said...

At least it's a sandwich talking. My Swedish fish and chocolate cake always talk back to me. :-)

Natalie Kale said...

There's nothing I hate more than indifferent cheese!

Natalie Kale said...

Also, it can be somewhat disconcerting when one's food get's anthropomorphic.

Unknown said...

Funny post!

Anonymous said...

hehe loved this!