Wednesday, January 7, 2009

On My Way

I am well on my way to becoming a productive member of society.

Scratch that. I HATE that term. It implies that the only productive people are those who are employed outside the home. That the only useful people are the ones who devote hours to someone else's agenda. (Although, it could be said that raising a child is devoting hours to someone else's agenda...lol!) It implies that men and women like myself, and like many of you, who so far have chosen to stay home to raise their children are unproductive. Anyone who has ever stayed at home with a child knows that such work is INCREDIBLY productive and rewarding. So let me rephrase myself.

I am well on my to becoming a taxpaying member of society.

That somehow doesn't sound so glamorous.

Anyhoo. Today I am having my fingerprints taken again for my new job. In the last 3 years I have been fingerprinted so many times it's crazy. While I admire the education and childcare industry for taking such scrupulous care to ensure that all workers have clean records, this is getting a little ridiculous. Surely, somewhere, my fingerprints are in a file. Can't they just dig 'em out and run a check again, rather than make me pay another exorbitant fee and drive 45 minutes away to some hole-in-the-wall post office again??!!

Ah, that's it. The exorbitant fee.

They want more money out of me. Of course.

On the bright side, once my fingerprints clear I will be able to begin work at a local Christian school. I got hired on as a substitute teacher. I was hoping for a full-time position, but it can be hard to come by teaching jobs in the middle of the year unless you catch someone going out on maternity leave. As it stands, there are way more of us who just graduated than there are pregnant teachers this month! So I'm happy to have a job at all, and it could certainly lead to a full-time position if someone DOES go out on maternity leave before the school year is over, or if someone decides to leave for next school year.

It's time to go be fingerprinted. Again. See ya later!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so not productive ... HAHAHA!

Good luck today!

Damselfly said...

I hope your new job works out great for you!

Susan said...

I have been wondering about what you ended up with work-wise. I hope that you enjoy it there. This is a HORRIBLE time to be entering education...hopefully things will turn around soon.

Hugs,

Susan

Angela Kruck said...

"Taxpaying member of society" - I love that! I am so sick of people asking me, "So what DO you do???" I'm always tempted to say, "Eat bon-bons and watch soap operas!"